Will the vaccinations hurt my baby?
My eldest child never even cried when he had his first shot while my second child did. Every child is different. Some mothers have told me their baby slept through the needle undisturbed.
Some babies have a slight reaction to the serums used to vaccinate them and this may be redness around the injection site, a little tenderness and possibly run a slight temperature. More serious side effects are rare.
You should ask your doctor about managing baby’s temperature when he is given the shot. He will probably recommend something like children’s Panadol and possibly a tepid sponge.
Vaccination has practically eliminated most diseases so does my baby need the shots
Yes your baby does need these shots. Immunization has been very effective and for this reason some parents are deciding the risk is no longer there. This is a false and dangerous belief and has led to the resurgence of some diseases. Immunization is still as important as it ever was.
Pertussis (Whooping Cough) is once again becoming a problem. This is a highly contagious disease caused by bacterial infection that can be life threatening. If you would like to read a more in depth report about this disease please click here
The immunization for Pertussis is contained it the DTaP injection which also protects them from Diphtheria and Tetanus. Both these illnesses can be fatal.
Immunization protects your baby against Measles, Mumps and Chicken Pox. All of which can have mild to very serious side effects.
- Dehydration can result for vomiting and diarrhea
- Middle eat infection which causes earache
- Conjunctivitis which is an eye infection
- Laryngitis – inflammation of the voice box
- Infections of the airways including bronchitis, pneumonia and croup
- Fits caused by high fevers. These are called febrile seizures
- Less common side effects can include hepatitis, meningitis and encephalitis.
- If the virus affects the nerves and muscles of the eyes it can cause misalignment of the eyes
- inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
- inflammation of the covering of the brain and spinal chord (meningitis)
After puberty mumps can cause
- inflammation of the ovaries or breast or both
- inflammation of the testicles
New born infants are at risk from this disease but those who are at the greatest risk are adults.
Side effects include:
- Itching which can lead to Bacterial infections of the skin, soft tissues, bones, joints or bloodstream (sepsis)
- Ear infection
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Reye’s Syndrome. a life-threatening metabolic disorder in young children, of uncertain cause but sometimes precipitated by aspirin and involving encephalitis and liver failure.
- Infections of the brain, encephalitis , meningitis and infections in the central nervous system
For more information on the side effects of chickenpox Click Here
What about Autism
The belief that Autism was related to childhood immunization has been studied and proved to be false.
If you would like to read more about this you will find information at the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website or Click Here
The risk to your baby’s life by not getting the immunization coupled with the extreme discomfort these illnesses cause even in their mildest form is simply not worth it. All these illnesses can cause death or a life long disability.
Immunization has practically stamped out disease like polio and Tuberculosis and your child will look forward to living a long healthy life because of it. Don’t let these diseases make a come back by not vaccinating your child.
If you research the subject and read the studies done by experts you will find most of the things that people have been blaming on the vaccinations have been absolutely disproved.
I would really like to hear your thoughts on this growing trend among parents to not immunize their children.